Monday, November 21, 2016

Saying Goodbye Hurts - Even For Me



Biggie Smalls 



It is just as difficult for me to lose a beloved animal friend as it is for anyone else.


I often hear from folks that it must be easier for me to say goodbye because I can communicate with my animals.

Oh no, that's not the case.


The older I get, the more it affects me and the harder it becomes.  

A loss is a loss. 


There is pain involved and absolutely no shortcuts even for me. 


My grief is just like yours. 

It's so hard to lose them.

Biggie Smalls found me about ten years ago as a stray here at my home in Elk, Washington.   I first noticed him lingering around my barn as there was food, water, and warm blankets out there.  

He was so fearful of humans, I could not get near him for months.  
Finally, with the lure of canned food and lots of loving communications with him, he allowed me to start petting him.

Once I was able to hold him, I took him in for a check up and found he had two pellets from a pellet gun embedded in him. One on the back near the shoulders and another in the abdomen.  No wonder he was fearful of humans.  

Other than that, Biggie checked out healthy, a full grown adult male. I welcomed him into my very large family of strays.  

He would become a dear sweet boy, a sentinel of sorts always letting me know it was dinner time.  

I will miss you Biggie.  You have made my life so much richer. 







Biggie Smalls
2002-2016


It seems impossible to imagine life without them.

Rest peacefully in the arms of angels sweet boy.







5 comments:

  1. Karen, I just saw this and wanted to express my sincere condolences on the earthly loss of your very handsome Biggie Smalls. We have a senior, wonderful ginger cat ex-road warrior who has stolen our hearts and we are readying ourselves to say goodbye to him soon and are struggling with it. You are so right--it never gets easier and in fact, more difficult as we get older. While you have a great gift, it can not ease the physical and emotional pain of parting with your dear fur family--the most loving of souls. In these crazy times, the animals are our greatest examples to follow and give us the most comfort. Thank you for being their voice and for being the dear heart you are. With love, Dyan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Dyan. I know you understand completely. I appreciate your kind words so much. It makes healing just a little easier. I hope all is well with your animal companions. Sending love to you my dear friend :)

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry about Biggie Smalls.(I love that name, it's so cute, and so is he!) What a special loving kitty he sounds like. He is so blessed to have found your barn, and have such a good Mom to take care of him. Love, Caroline

    I

    ReplyDelete